Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Amongst the Monks

Hello All,
A couple of weeks ago I took three days and had a personal retreat. It is so important in the middle of our busy lives to take a time of rest and retreat. That sounds like a far-fetched dream for many of you - but even an early morning time of coffee and solitude and quiet can refresh the soul. I had a few days in between two locations and I found a retreat at a Trappist monastery in Achelse Kluis, Belgium.

There are many things about the Monastic lifestyle I do not fully understand; however, I am grateful that they have preserved a sanctuary for quietness, rest, and reflection in a world so depleted of these resources.

During my respite I truly rested, spend time in the word, memorized scripture, wrote, took walks and thought about a lot of things. All meals were spent in silence, although I did get to develop some good relationships with other there on personal retreat as well and had some very interesting conversations

If ever you are traveling in Europe, I recommend this experience. However, we have monasteries in America also that offer guest housing for those wanting personal retreat. Thanks for staying in touch.

Pack light and don't forget your passport!

DAN